Board of Directors
- Tara ThiagarajanChairman and Managing DirectorTara brings with her the keen mind of a scientist, with specialization in in neuroscience and complex system. She an interest in the application of cutting-edge science towards evolved human economic systems. At Madura, Dr Thiagarajan is focused on creating structures with the organization for intelligent capital delivery into the informal economy. This includes building a data excellence framework and a research driven analytical platform to expand product opportunities, manage risk and enhance cost efficiency.She has a B.A. in Mathematics from Brandeis University, an MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Stanford University.
She has also been a postdoctoral scientist at the Center for Critical Brain Dynamics at the NIH and was a visiting Scientist at the National Center for Biological Sciences in Bangalore. She is a frequent Op-ed contributor to various publications including The Economic Times, Business Line and Entrepreneur magazine. Her publications can be found at www.ofmindandmoney.com
- Mohan EddyWholetime DirectorMohan is the enterprise architect with extensive experience in creating flourishing enterprises from the ground level up, across verticals from manufacturing to technology. The Enterprise Technology consulting practice that he recently he built recently scaled to $200 MM in revenues and is now part of Tech Mahindra. This is the legacy he brings to Madura.He employs this in-depth insight into leading Madura’s transformation into a next generation intelligent enterprise. His expertise lies in engineering and enabling high performance teams that can join the organization in its quest to achieve excellence. Mohan’s satisfaction comes from empowering and enabling human potential with training, technology and systems, and in expanding opportunity for large numbers of people.
Mohan is also a gadget and technology buff and keeps us all on our toes with the latest and greatest. He holds a B.E in Mechanical Engineering from the College of Engineering in Guindy and a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from IIM Calcutta.
- R.RamrajAdvisor, Sequoia CapitalRamaraj is a Senior Advisor at Sequoia Capital and is a member of the Global Board of Trustees of TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs). Previously he was the Co- Founder and CEO of Sify Limited, the pioneer and leader in Internet, Networking and eCommerce Services in India. Sify was the first Indian Internet company to be listed on NASDAQ.Ramaraj was recognized as the ‘Evangelist of the Year’ at the India Internet World Convention in September 2000 and voted IT Person of the Year 2000 in the CNET.com. He was invited by the UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan to be a member of UN’s Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG) and is the first Indian to be invited to the Board of directors of ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). R. Ramaraj holds a B. Tech in chemical engineering from the University of Madras and a M.B.A. from the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta.
This evangelistic vision is now turned towards the socio-economic development that Madura focuses on.
- Ashok MirzaChairman, Appcom GroupAshok Mirza is the Founder-Director of the Apcom group of companies including Dax Networks and Cenza Technologies. He has over 35 years of experience in the IT industry, beginning his career with IBM Corporation in 1971.He holds a B.S. in electrical engineering from the Institute of Technology, BHU India and has attended the Wharton School’s SMU Executive Education Program.
- N.C. SarabeswaranSenior Partner, Jagannath and SarabeswaranN.C. Sarabeswaran is a senior partner with the well-established audit firm Jagannath & Sarabeswaran in Chennai and currently serves on the board of GMR Energy Limited and Road Sector Companies of the GMR group where he is also Chairman of the Audit Committee. He has previously held board positions in a number of banks including the Vysya Bank and the Tamil Nadu Mercantile Bank, both as an RBI nominee and in an independent capacity. Sarabeswaran is the past President of Indo- Australian Chamber of Commerce, a bi-national Chamber headquartered in Chennai.He is also the primary Trustee of Veda Pati Nidhi Trust, a 25 year old Trust supporting more than two hundred old, indigent Pandits and runs two other family Trusts catering to needs of the underprivileged.
This financial acumen is the value he adds to the Madura team.
- Sandeep FariasManaging Director Elevar EquitySandeep Farias is a Founder and Managing Director of Elevar Equity (www.elevarequity.com), a thesis based investor focused on backing entrepreneurs who deliver essential services to disconnected communities underserved by global networks. He founded Elevar on the view that: “Lack of access to basic services for any individual is really an issue of discrimination and must be challenged.It is imperative that we leverage the power of markets to scale and provide access to life changing services to millions of individuals and communities.” It is this idea that drives Sandeep to provide equity to entrepreneurs who challenge discrimination, help them prove their business model, establish the right governance, and raise additional capital to grow.
- Siva Kameswari VissaIndependent DirectorKameswari is a Chartered Accountant with over 28 years of experience comprising Management Consultancy and functional industry experience. She has worked with KPMG, A. F. Ferguson & Co, RPG Group, and Ashok Leyland. As a partner with Amrop International, Kameswari has led cross border searches for several leadership positions.Kameswari’ s sector competencies include automotive, light & heavy engineering, process industries such as chemicals, petrochemicals, life sciences, cement, FMCG, financial services, infrastructure, hospitality, IT/ ITES and retail. She has significant experience in the areas of Finance, Business Strategy and Corporate Planning. Business Transformation, Performance Improvement, Activity Based Costing, Supply Chain, Strategic Cost reduction, IT strategy and Implementation.
- Ajit ThomasChairman, AVT GroupAjit Thomas is the Chairman of A.V. Thomas Group of Companies, an Agri Business Enterprise founded in 1925, with interests in plantations, tea retail, spice processing, natural extracts and leather goods. Mr. Thomas graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree, from Loyola College, Chennai.Ajit Thomas has served on the Madras Chamber of Commerce, Spice Board of India, and was the President of the United Plantations Association of South India in its Centennial year.
- Kavitha VijayIndependent DirectorKavitha Vijay is the Senior Partner of the Universal Legal, a full-service law firm with practices in microfinance, infrastructure and media & entertainment besides general corporate law and advisory services. Her experience pans over 15+ years with her work primarily focused on mergers, acquisitions, private equity investments and joint ventures.Kavitha Vijay has served as an Independent Woman Director on the boards of MM Forgings Limited, A V Thomas And Co Ltd, Wolters Kluwer Elm Solutions Private Limited, CML Media Softwares Private Limited and is also a trustee in an NGO Foundation “The Interface” which is involved with the implementation of Corporate Social Responsibility related activities for corporate organizations.
Advisory Board Members
- M.V. SubbiahChairman NSDC and former Chairman and COO, Murugappa GroupM.V. Subbiah is the former Chairman and COO of the Murugappa Group of Companies. He has won several awards including the National HRD Award for his contributions to human resources development, an invaluable asset when it comes to creating a people-centric organization like Madura.He is presently the Chairman of the National Skills Development Council. the JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award and recently the Padma Bhushan.
- Marthi SubrahmanyamProfessor of Finance and Economics, Stern School of Business, NYUMarti Subrahmanyam is the Charles E. Merrill Professor of Finance and Economics at the Stern School of Business at New York University. He has published extensively on various topics relating to capital markets and is editor of a number of academic journals.This brilliant mind has been a consultant to a number of major investment banks and other financial institutions. He presently holds board positions with various companies including Infosys Technologies and ICICI Bank. He holds a B. Tech from IIT, Madras, a post graduate diploma in Business Administration from IIM, Ahmedabad and a Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.